Monday, February 13, 2017

All You Need is Love (and some crab legs)

I love family traditions. They get me through the monotonous day-to-day and give my family (especially the kiddos) and I something to look forward to and get excited about. 

Each year we celebrate Valentine's Day with crab legs for dinner. We love crab legs at our house, but they're expensive so we can only justify it once a year (maybe two if we really get a hankering). When I was younger my mom and I would get crab legs if we were the only ones at home. My dad sometimes traveled for work and my sisters were in college, so from time to time it was just us. That made it feel special to me, I knew it wasn't an all the time thing, just a fun little treat to look forward to.

My mom also always put on quite the dinner for my dad every Valentine's Day. Us little girls would hide and "surprise" him (he knew it was coming after first few years I think, haha) with a beautifully set table and a yummy feast for us all to enjoy. 




Recipe for Cheddar Bay Biscuits
Ingredients:
2 1/2 cups Bisquick baking mix
3/4 cup cold buttermilk
4 tbsp cold butter (1/2 stick)
1/4 teaspoon minced garlic
1 heaping cup grated cheddar cheese
Mixture to Brush on Top:
2 tbsp melted butter
1/4 tsp dried (or fresh!) parsley flakes
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp salt
Directions:
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Combine Bisquick with cold butter in a medium bowl with a pastry cutter or a large fork. Don't mix too much! Small chunks of butter about the size of peas should remain. Add cheddar cheese, buttermilk and garlic. Mix, using your hands, until just combined. Drop 1/4 cup portions of dough onto a sprayed cookie sheet. Bake for 15-17 minutes. Tops will be golden brown when done. Brush the butter mixture on top & try not to eat them all before dinner! 




So this is my tribute to both of those things. A special family feast and a yummy crab dinner. I think traditions with family are so so important! It's not a walk in the park with young kids, but I know they will be able to look back on these memories with a special fondness as I do on my Valentine's Days growing up. Happy V-Day all!

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your blog post Misha! The recipe looks amazing and the pictures are adorable. I love traditions and agree with you how important they are. I think family rituals and traditions create the perfect bonds and keep us together as our families face stress or a crisis. You have inspired me to start my own Valentines Day traditions. -Sarah

    ReplyDelete